north vancouver water model assessment and audit
Water Street Engineering Ltd. completed an assessment of the City of North Vancouver's water system hydraulic model to develop a model updating plan. WSE reviewed the existing H20net model against the CIty's record drawings, source flow records, and facility information. Model update recommendations included:
- Updating and improving the accuracy of the model boundary conditions (supply sources),
- Improve control valve station modelling,
- Use of actual pipe inside diameters (as opposed to nominal diameters),
- C-factor calibration for cast iron piping,
- Re-scaling and GIS assignment of the model demands to better reflect seasonal irrigation,
- Addition of diurnal patterns to allow for extended-period simulation,
- Review of potential inter-zone leakage.
WSE also completed a water audit following AWWA M36 methodology. This component of the work included:
- Review of existing water loss / unaccounted for water information,
- Review of source flows including night-time flows,
- Summation of billed metered authorized consumption (from industrial, commercial, and institutional meter data),
- Developing estimates of billed un-metered authorized consumption (residential un-metered demands),
- Estimates of unmilled unlettered usage and apparent losses (un-authorized consumption, metering inaccuracies),
- Calculation of non-revenue water
- Compiling system data for calculation of the City's Infrastructure Leakage Index (ILI),
- Assessing and recommending components for a water loss management program to improve current understanding of water usage and build on the results of the audit.
As a result of the audit the following recommendations were made.
- Setting ILI targets,
- Source flow metering improvements,
- District metering,
- Survey of top-ICI users,
- Expansion of trial residential metering,
- Night-time flow step-testing,
- Purchase of leak detection equipment, and
- Yearly water audits.
Client: City of North Vancouver
Client Contact: David Matsubara, P.Eng. ; email@example.com