The City of Surrey retained Water Street to complete a preliminary and detailed design of upgrades to this large pump station.
The Newton Pump Station (NPS) was constructed in 1983 next to the existing Metro Vancouver Newton Pump Station. The station was constructed below-grade with 4 x 300 HP and 1 x 400 HP vertical turbine pumps and a 900 kW above-grade diesel genset. Many of the station’s components required upgrading or replacement. Upgrades included:
- All new pumping units (5 x 300 HP)
- Two-way travelling crane for pump room
- New HVAC systems
- Flow, pressure, vibration and temperature instrumentation
- Electrical, control and lighting systems
- New above-ground power and control building
- Buried discharge main
The scope of work also included ultrasonic inspections of the 1200 mm suction header and 1050 mm discharge header.